Friday 9 December 2016

Bookshop Spot - Southwold Books

Southwold Books

I started this post back in May and for some reason I never finished it, and I just found the draft of it on Blogger. So, seven months later, in freezing December, here's a summer Bookshop Spot featuring Southwold Books, hopefully it will give you warm, beachy feelings (although if I remember correctly it was still fairly bloody cold on the beach).



Southwold Books is situated in, you guessed it, Southwold, the seaside town on the coast of Suffolk.

It used to be an independent bookshop but has been bought up by Waterstones. I was intending just to feature independent shops in my Bookshop Spot feature but I think Southwold Books still retains the air of an independent; it's not called Waterstones, still has its name and I know from working at the local paper that the shop supports a lot of local events and authors. It just happens to accept Waterstones' giftcards too, which was great for me as when I went with the (future) husband, I had one to spend.

The shop is very in keeping with the breezy seaside feel of the town and, though small, has large windows for displays and a definite local interest in all things Suffolk, coastal and boating. There's also a lot of outdoor and gardening books, that clearly cater to the outdoorsy clientele.
It also has a good selection of new releases, classics, a great fiction section and a very good children's book area, which was at the back of the shop and felt like a hidden nook that children could get lost in (not literally, lost in books).

I had a Waterstones giftcard and spent most of my time there faffing arund trying to decide which one, among the hundreds of books, was worthy of my gifted credit. One book that did tempt me was A Southwold Mystery by Suzette A. Hill. Not surprisingly, it was on fairly prominent display giving that it's set in the same town. I've never read any of her books before but the concept sounded good, whodunnit Christie-style murder, but I also just get a kick out of reading books that are set near where I live. Very sad, I know.

A Southwold Mystery by Suzette A. Hill

I didn't pick A Southwold Mystery though as I got one that I have been meaning to read for ages and I can't believe I haven't read before; Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.You'll also be shocked to hear that not only had I not read this book before, I'd also never read any Neil Gaiman! This is a terrible wrong that I am now trying to put right by working my way through his books, and why I didn't before I don't know as he's fantastic.

Good Omens from Southwold Books

Good Omens is a great read, I'm a huge Terry Pratchett fan so knew I'd like it but as a team with Gaiman this book really is wonderful, funny, devilish, and thoroughly British. I only wish they could have written more together.

I've gone off on a tangent a bit there, but if you're ever in or around Southwold I recommend a visit to Southwold Books, and the town itself for overly priced clothing shops,fish and chips, arcades, and once in a blue moon, a perfect beach day.

Southwold Beach

Find Southwold Books at 69 High Street, Southwold, IP18 6DS


Follow Me On Bloglovin'



No comments:

Post a Comment