Thursday 3 May 2018

The Craftsman by Sharon Bolton

Book Review


The Craftsman by Sharon Bolton - Reading, Writing, Booking


"...to be a woman of Pendle is both a blessing and a curse."

The Craftsman is released in the UK today, 3rd May 2018. It is written by Sharon Bolton and published by Trapeze.

I can tell I enjoyed The Craftsman because when I went back through my Kindle I found that I hadn't made any notes. Usually if I'm going to be reviewing a book I'll make a couple of notes or highlight parts to quote, but I was so into this book that I didn't break to note anything down.

It does mean that I don't have any notes to work from so this review may be a bit of a ramble!



BLURB
Devoted father or merciless killer?
His secrets are buried with him.


Florence Lovelady's career was made when she convicted coffin-maker Larry Glassbrook of a series of child murders 30 years ago. Like something from our worst nightmares the victims were buried...ALIVE.


Larry confessed to the crimes; it was an open and shut case. But now he's dead, and events from the past start to repeat themselves.


Did she get it wrong all those years ago?
Or is there something much darker at play?

It's a sign of good writing that a book is almost effortless to read, and that's what I experienced with The Craftsman. It wasn't simple or dumbed down in any way, it's an intelligent book, but the writing flows superbly and it is gripping right from the beginning, but with a slow build throughout into an explosive ending.

The Craftsman combines police thriller with a touch of folklore and historical fiction. It's a difficult feat to pull off but I think Bolton does this well; the history of the Pendle Witch Trials and the setting of wild Lancashire gives it a little something else which makes it stand out. It's a modern thriller but history is its backbone.

I was worried that this thriller was going to be all gore, especially as the serial killer buried his victims alive. But, while it is disturbing and there are a couple of bits that you shouldn't read while you're eating, it doesn't go for the in your face gore that alot of thrillers do, and which I find takes away from the story.

This is a creepy and disturbing book, but it also has an excellent story and a fascinating look into police procedure in the sixties.

The Craftsman is the first in a trilogy and I can't wait to read the next one.

My Rating: 4 Stars


I received a copy of The Craftsman, via NetGalley, in return for an honest review. My thanks to the author and publisher.


Follow Me On Bloglovin'



No comments:

Post a Comment