Thursday 4 January 2018

The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor

Book Review


The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor - Reading, Writing, Booking


"For who are we if not the sum of our experiences, the things that we gather and collect in life? Once you strip those away we become just a mass of flesh, bone and blood vessels."


The Chalk Man will be released in the UK on 11th January 2018. It is written by C.J. Tudor and published by Michael Joseph.

I often find that hugely hyped books just don't live up to the buildup generated around them, but I'm pleased to say that The Chalk Man is one of the few that does. I've been seeing lots of good reviews for this one, and the premise sounded right up my street, so I requested it from NetGalley and I'm so glad I did because I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've read a lot of thrillers recently that have been only OK and I was a bit wary to have to read another one that didn't grip me, but The Chalk Man was a breath of fresh air.

BLURB
None of us ever agreed on the exact beginning.
Was it when we started drawing the chalk figures, or when they started to appear on their own?
Was it the terrible accident?
Or when they found the first body?

Like a lot of other reviewers have said, I found The Chalk Man very reminiscent of Stephen King, especially The Body and It, with the gang of children discovering something sinister and the older versions of themselves having to revisit it. I would say though that, while there are similarities, Tudor has made The Chalk Man his own and he definitely has a distinctive way of writing. It's very straightforward yet there are all kinds of emotons under the surface, both sinister and lighter. In fact, I did find myself chuckling a few times when reading this book, which is a nice contrast to the dark subject matter.

The characters are recognisable yet not stereotypes, especially the lead, Eddie, who is relatable yet has a mysterious undertow to his character that leaves you questioning. I liked the little group of kids, though I did think the relationships between them all could have been explored a bit more.

The Chalk Man has a depth that you don't often find in thrillers, yet it's still a page-turning read which will suit anyone who loves edge-of-your-seat thrillers. Every time a mystery was solved, another one cropped up.

My Rating: 4 Stars


I received a review copy of The Chalk Man, via NetGalley, in return for an honest review. My thanks to the author and publishers.

Follow me On Bloglovin'


No comments:

Post a Comment